Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Antibiotics for Prostate Infections

Antibiotics for Prostate Infections

Antibiotics for Prostate Infections

Infections of the prostate occur when bacteria, such as Escherichia coli, Klebsiella sp., or Enterococci sp., reach the prostate from the urinary tract or the bloodstream. It is characterized by fever, chills, lower back pain and frequent and painful urination and is commonly treated with antibiotics. The National Kidney and Urologic Disease Clearinghouse recommends intravenous administration of the antibiotics followed by oral therapy for 2 to 4 weeks to treat acute infections. Chronic infections may be treated with low dose of antimicrobials for 6 months to prevent recurrent infection.

Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX)

TMP/SMX is the most common antibiotic used to treat prostate infections. It is a combination of two drugs--trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole--that work together by inhibiting the reproduction of the bacterial cells. This antibiotic penetrates well into the prostate tissue and can be given orally or intravenously, depending on the condition of the patient.



The duration of therapy for TMP/SMX as well as for other antibiotics used to treat prostate infections is not well studied. In an article published in the May 2000 edition of American Family Physician, Dr. James J. Stevermer states that about 40 percent of urologists and 65 percent of primary care physicians prescribed antibiotics for only two weeks . However, many experts believe that taking antibiotics for less time may lead to chronic infections which can be difficult to treat and hence, recommend antibiotics for at least 3 to 4 weeks.



Common side effects of TMP/SMX include loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Severe allergic reactions such as difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest and swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue may occur. It is important to contact the doctor immediately in such cases.

Tetracyclines

Tetracyclines, such as doxycycline and minocycline, work by preventing the growth and spread of bacteria. They are especially effective against prostate infections caused by mycoplasma or chlamydia, which are common in men with sexually transmitted diseases. The University of Maryland Medical Center warns of side effects such as skin reactions to sunlight, possible burning in the throat and tooth discoloration.

Quinolones

Quinolones, like ciprofloxacin and norfloxacin, act by preventing the duplication of the bacterial genetic material and are used to treat acute and chronic prostate infections especially when TMP/SMX therapy fails. Dr Kurt Naber states in the July-August 1989 edition of Review of Infectious Diseases that quinolones can reach high concentrations in prostatic and seminal fluid and prostate tissue. And, unlike certain other antibiotics, such as erythromycin and clindamycin, which reach high concentrations in prostate but are ineffective against the common bacteria responsible for prostate infections, quinolones can act against a wide range of bacteria and are also useful against Chlamydia trachomatis and Ureaplasma urealyticum.



Side effects are usually mild and include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and dizziness.

Cephalosporins

In the May 2000 edition of "American Family Physician," Dr. James J. Stevermer recommends intravenous administration of cephalosporins along with aminoglycosides to all the extremely ill patients, such as those with sepsis. Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall, thereby causing cell death. Common side effects include diarrhea, nausea, rash, electrolyte disturbances, and inflammation at injection site.



source : livestrong.com

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

nice web tools English Definitions and Dictionary dutch definition and Dictionary , Nederlands definitie finnish definition and Dictionary, hollantilainen sanakirja French definition and Dictionary, le dictionnaire Français arabic definition and Dictionary, قاموس اللغة العربية hindi definition and Dictionary, शब्दकोश, हिन्दी शब्दकोश bengali definition and Dictionary, বাংলা অভিধান portuguese definition and Dictionary, dicionário de Português urdu definition and Dictionary، اردو لغت russian definition and Dictionary, русский словарь spanish definition and Dictionary, diccionario de español